HISTORY OF CASTEL MONASTERO
The origins of Castel Monastero are lost in the history of Medieval Tuscany. The castle is mentioned for the first time, under the name of Sarna, in 1044. Afterwards, from 1050, it is cited more and more often with the name of Monastero, in connection with nearby Berardenga Abbey.
From the early years of the 12TH century to at least the beginning of the 14th, it was home to a branch of the Berardenghi family and in 1202 it belonged to the Commune of Siena administration system.
It was besieged but without success by the Florentines in 1208 and conquered in 1270 by Guido di Montfort who used it as a an outpost against the city of Siena. Bought by the noble Sienese Chigi Saracini family, it became their country house, a place designated for hunting and harvesting the fruit of the vines in the castle territories.
At the end of an accurate restoration process aiming at reinstating its ancient splendour, it is today ready to welcome our guests.
Almost ten centuries of history await you there.